Saturday, March 21, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: Motivational

When was the last time you had to write a motivational letter?BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS Word of the Day is Motivational
French Translation is...explicative? 



Hi Darlings!

It is Saturday and I am working on the blog, tapping away feverishly on my laptop, like a busy little bee. How committed I am, right? Well, maybe my motivation is not so pure. Maybe I am a little bit selfish. Maybe I am working on Saturday to keep myself occupied and fend off boredom. But I also like to find new words to share with you as well, so it is not just all about me being selfish. :)


I have motivational letters on my mind for some reason. No, I don't have a job offer but I am just thinking about motivational letters for no apparent reason. The motivational letter is a lettre de motivation in French, I think. It is also lettre de presentation, or lettre do couverture, I think. Don't quote me. But I consulted Lingué and it looks like those are the French translation. But as I have said many, many times, my French is very bad.

So it is a letter that you write when you are submitting a CV or resume for a job to explain your motivation for applying for the job. It is a kind of personal statement about yourself and your interests and why you think you would be good for the job you are applying for.

When was the last time you had to write a motivational letter yourself? Do you find it difficult to write motivational letters where you have to basically sell yourself to prospective employers and toot your own horn? Do you get writers block when you have to speak about yourself in a way that is both professional and authentic without going over board? Do you find that it is a form of  bragging that is distasteful to you to have to do that? Or do you like having to showcase how cool and perfect you are for the job at hand? How do you feel about writing motivational letters?

A lot of people find writing motivational letters very challenging. I would imagine that people who had to write motivational letters in a language other than their native language could find it even more daunting that they usually might. Have you ever had to write a motivational letter in English, for example? (I assume that you are not a native speaker, although  from my analytics I can see that I am getting visitors from English countries like America and UK, in which case this question may not be one for you.)

I would like to know what is the most difficult part of writing a motivational letter for you. What aspect of this exercise do you dread the most? 

Note: During this time, I am offering strictly telephone conversation courses to respect the order of President Emmanuel Macron who has issued a directive as you know that the French population must remain under curfew for the next 15 days. If you would like to start or continue with English conversation lessons therefore, it will be strictly by telephone. I look forward to speaking with you, que même. I have noticed that I now have visitors from countries other than France including Germany, United Arab Emirites, Belgium, Spain and Oman. You are also welcomed to take English conversation with me if you like :) 


______________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...