Sunday, March 1, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: Word of the Day is GROW

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: Word of the Day is GROW


To grow means to increase in quantity and size over time.
French translation is croître, grandir
*It's a verb. (growth is the noun)

Continuing with this word of the day trend at BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS, I have selected the word GROW. I think this is a good word for entrepreneur types or bosses in companies rather than entry level employees; and people working in Finance and Economics will also appreciate this word, I think.

https://amzn.to/38g8WZ6
Apple SmartWatch
Still, though, I think even entry level employees who don't work in Finance and Economics or/and are not bosses or entrepreneurs, could have knowledge of the statistics concerning their company and so a good question might be "tell me about your company that you work for right now. How much has it grown in the last year?" "Or since you have been with this company, how would you describe its growth as far as number employees or revenues or any other metric?"

Some students might be a little bit stomped by this word and this question. And the one thing I have noticed during all my years of teaching Busines English in Paris is that French learners are uncomfortable with being "wrong" or giving an answer that is not "correct." They prefer to say nothing than risk not getting it right. So this word could be risky. But then again, I could always turn the conversation to a broader context, like the economy. I could always ask "do you think the French economy has grown under Macron?" Or "what do you think the coronavirus will do the economic growth in China and could that have an economic impact in France? How so?"

There are other connotations of the word. You can use it in the context of, for example,  your hair (I cut my hair yesterday but it will grow back very soon); your nails (My nails grow very slowly); your children (My son is growing up so fast.)

_____________________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...