Thursday, November 4, 2021

BUSINESS ENGLISH Word of the Day: Statesmanship

 The CEO showed great statesmanship when he pledged to spend 30% of company profits on philantropy and environmental causes


Yesterday I made a video for my other Youtube channel about "Statesmanship" and so I thought I would keep it consistent and make it the word of the day for Business English Paris.

French Translation: sens politique

I was reading this article From Words To Action: The Next Phase Of CEO Statesmanship (forbes.com) and took the liberty of lifting this quote: "Not long ago, the public sector  our elected leaders in Washington and in our states  were expected to be the defenders of our common rights and values. But as political partisanship has intensified, some of this role has increasingly shifted to private sector leaders  a trend that I have called the “Age of the CEO Statesman.” Today, corporate executives have the opportunity to leverage their impact to push for social change, and the American people are increasingly looking to executives, rather than politicians, as change agents."

I wondered if your CEO at your own place of work is someone you would describe as a statesman or stateswoman or whether you yourself are a statesman or stateswoman?

Usually, this word is used in the context of politics, obviously but increasingly, corporate CEOs are being tapped as role models and corporations are expected to implement policies that are in the common good - especially with things like the environment.

Do you think it is fair to hold corporate executives to this high a standard while we increasingly let politicians off the hook for bad behavior? After all, it is we who elect the politicians. So what does it say about us when we keep electing politicians who are not statesmanlike and instead place the burden on coporate CEOs who never made us any promises?

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...