Monday, March 23, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: SEDUCTION

Business English Word of the Day: Seduction

Can you use Seduction techniques in a corporate setting to obtain a competitive advantage?

French translation: seduction




Hello Darlings! Happy Monday!

I am very late with my word of the day today. My day just sort of got away from me and I was not able to get to it until now. So sorry. But based on all the comments I have gotten so far (zero!)
The Art of Seduction at Work???
I am not even sure if anyone reads this blog so maybe nobody even noticed that I missed the word of the day. Which, if you want to know the truth, is both good and bad.


Anyway, the word I chose for today is seduction.
Seduction probably strikes you as a strange word for a Business English class but I think I would have to disagree. I think the art of seduction can be used even at work to gain a competitive advantage. And no, it does not have to involve anything illicit or even inappropriate. I am not saying or advocating becoming an office coquette, or behaving in a manner that could be deemed lecherous or even criminal (don't be Harvey Weinstein, for example).

But I do think that it is possible to gain a competitive advantage through the use of seduction techniques. At least, I have heard that it is possible though obviously I have no first hand knowledge that this is in fact the case. But I have read that one can gain control over decision makers and people in a position of power by using techniques of seduction, to advance at work.

Notably, as I said, there is a big difference between seduction and being a Harvey Weinstein type. And no, that does not necessarily mean you have to be a "snake" who charms and then harms others to get your way either. It does not mean you have to engage in an inappropriate office romance, or steal someone's spouse or anything like that. And this is important to remember because many good people have become corrupted by this game of seduction at the office. You can be seductive without being immoral and corrupt. You can be seductive without inciting panic in the people you work with.

How? I have no idea. I'm just making this up as I go along but I think it may have to do with interpretation more than anything. How do you interpret and process the data of your daily interactions at work. And what do you do with the information once you have it? This is what seduction is all about. Data management.

Giggles.

I made myself laugh right here because, indeed, what the heck am I talking about?! Have I imbibed a glass of Merlot??? No. I have not. But I think this is true. Seduction is data. It is data management. It is about using data to inform your choices and strategy and not to let data cause you to instead, go into anxiety attacks at work, which is utterly unseductive. It is about taking charge of data and designing your own professional strategy that leads to success for yourself.

Giggles again. 😀😁😃

I'm going to stop here because I don't know what I am talking about. But do you think it is possible to use the art of seduction to gain a competitive advantage in your career without resorting to doing anything illicit and inappropriate? 

I would love to have this discussion with you one of these days. 

Note: During this time, I am offering strictly telephone conversation courses to respect the order of President Emmanuel Macron who has issued a directive as you know that the French population must remain under curfew for the next 15 days. If you would like to start or continue with English conversation lessons therefore, it will be strictly by telephone. I look forward to speaking with you, que même. I have noticed that I now have visitors from countries other than France including Germany, United Arab Emirites, Belgium, Spain and Oman. You are also welcomed to take English conversation with me if you like :) 


______________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...