Tuesday, March 3, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS WORD OF THE DAY: TROUBLESHOOT

Cours Business English Paris word of the day is TROUBLESHOOT
French translation is intervenir pour régler un problème


Has your boss ever asked you to "troubleshoot"a problem that is someone else's responsibility? How did you react?

https://amzn.to/2VJZFWW
Troubleshooting


Good Morning darlings!

It's too early in the morning. I woke up before my alarm (it is set for 5:00) and figured I would just get an earlier start to my blogging than planned. But no question I need to troubleshoot this situation with waking up before my alarm!



So, as I said from the beginning of this blog (I started this Business English Paris blog a few days ago), the idea is to use vocabulary that English speaking professionals might use in the normal course of their work day to stimulate discussions with my French students.

I think TROUBLESHOOT is a good word because at work, you are always going to be troubleshooting something. Not everybody enjoys having to troubleshoot, though, especially when it is not their "job." But then again, other people thrive on troubleshooting, or being called to troubleshoot issues and problems at work. It is almost like their raison d'être to solve problems - problem-solving is one of their soft skills. 

...WAIT.....I just said something very interesting. I just suggested that "troubleshooting" and "problem-solving" are synonymous. But are they? Necessarily? In your opinion? Because I think you could totally
"intervenir pour régler un problème" i.e. to "troubleshoot" the problem, but not actually wind up "solving" the problem. I think the problem could still persist even after you try to "troubleshoot" it. So, to me, troubleshoot does not mean to "solve." It just means to try to solve.  Do you agree? Do you disagree?

And what about you? Talk to me about how you feel when you are asked to troubleshoot a problem at work and it is not even your job to deal with that situation. Do you roll up your sleeves and dive right in? Or do you feel a little bit resentful?

Would love to discuss this topic with you in person one of these days but for the moment, you're welcome to leave me a comment. :)

____________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...