Monday, May 11, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: DELEGATE

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: DELEGATE

Is your manager a micro manager type or does he or she delegate duties and tasks to subordinates?

French translation: déléguer

Darlings! How are you all??? I have missed you. 😇

It is Monday May 11, 2020 and I felt slightly motivated to write a post. I say slightly because compared to the last few weeks, I actually felt like updating for a change. I am not promising anything as far as how frequently I will be updating, however, because my schedule is a bit complicated these days. But for today, I give you the word DELEGATE.

Do you know who I think was a very clever delegator of duties? President Donald Trump. In 2020. During the coronavirus pandemic that rocked the United States to its core, he basically just delegated all the responsibilities and duties to the 50 governors and let them deal with the whole mess. He was definitely not a micromanager. It made me wonder about how he was as a boss in his company, The Trump Organization. Chances are, he also delegated down to the underlings and let them handle the mess and get back to him when they had cleaned it up. He is not the type of CEO who goes in there and gets his hands dirty. Like, for example, on his construction sites. He was a builder in his day and he had a lot of buildings put up and you can just imagine that he was not the type of guy to ever get his hands soiled with that plaster and wet concrete. 

Similarly, I wonder about you and your own situation. Are you a manager type who delegates or are you the type who micromanages? If you are not in a managerial position, do you have a boss who is a delegator? Or is your boss a micromanager? And which type of management style do you think is most effective and why?

Would love to chat with you about this. If you would like to take a Business English course with us please do not hesitate to contact us at businessenglishparisELG@gmail.com.

Thanks and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...