Tuesday, March 17, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS' WORD OF THE DAY: HIRE

Today's Word of the Day from Business English Paris is HIRE
French translation is embaucher


Good morning, Darlings! 


I hope you are taking care of yourselves during this global coronovirus pandemic. I am doing my best to stay healthy on my end.
The Brain Sensing Headband - Guided Meditation and Sleep Multi Sensor Headset
I must say, it is a very exhausting time here at Business English Paris (which is a blog, not an entreprise). Just listening to the news and the gloom and doom and now the confinement where I can't leave the apartment to take my "sanity" walk has left me absolutely exhausted both mentally and physically. I think this is going to be a time where I regularly take time out for meditation and relaxation because otherwise….


So. I am looking for some good news and I just read that because of the coronavirus, US e-commerce giant AMAZON has hired 100,000 new employees to deal with the explosive demand from online shoppers who are trapped in their homes due to curfews around the world and who are in a state of panic and who therefore are trying to buy up basic supplies online.

So there is a positive element to the coronavirus. It is creating jobs in big companies like Amazon and not only will Amazon hire 100,000 new employees - both part time and full time - but they will also give their current employees working in distribution centers in America a $2 raise. In Europe employees will receive a 2€ raise and in the UK their wages will go up by 2 pounds. 

So this is great news in a very dark time. As far as Business English conversation goes, my question to you might be, "do you think that your current company will end up hiring or firing employees as a result of the coronavirus"?  More broadly, what impact have you had in your company as a result of coronavirus? What is your employer doing to protect employees from the spread of the virus?



Note: During this time, I am offering strictly telephone conversation courses to respect the order of President Emmanuel Macron who has issued a directive as you know that French population must remain under curfew for the next 15 days. If you would like to start or continue with English conversation lessons therefore, it will be strictly by telephone. I look forward to speaking with you, que même.


______________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...