Tuesday, March 10, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: Word of the Day is BOOM

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: Word of the Day is  BOOM

French translation is La Prospérité, L'expansion



Good Morning Darlings!

How are you all today? I hope great. 😊 It is Tuesday and the news reports are pretty grim concerning the Corona Virus COVID - 19 which seems to be spreading across the rest of the world at an alarming vitesse after an apparent debut in China, where thousands of people have reportedly died.
https://amzn.to/2W1rrhM
Samsung Smart Watch
In Europe the number of casualties and of people testing positive for the virus are increasing daily with countries like Italy being particularly hard-hit.

Just about every school is shut down in Italy according to reports and the tourism sector in many countries has nose-dived. The clock seems to be ticking on this one and there is no telling how much damage it will do in the world, once it is finally contained.

This brings me to the word of the day. BOOM. This word might seem like a counter-intuitive choice but I think you will agree that it is an interesting word, nevertheless.

 As usual, at Business English Paris, I try to imagine what I might ask a student during a conversation with him or her, using the word of the day. So, I might ask, "So, what do you think about this Corona virus and what will be the impact on the French economy in your opinion? Was there an economic BOOM trying to happen in France would you say, and in the rest of the EU more broadly before this unfortunate phenomenon started to take hold?  Do you expect that this outbreak of Corona will destroy any potential economic boom in France as the country prepares for the 2024 games? Or are the games still a healthy way off for it to have any real impact? Do you think world governments are doing all that they can to contain the spread of this outbreak?"

The student, depending on who he or she is, is likely to tell me "I am not an expert on the economy….but …." I find the French say that a lot. They start off with "I am not an expert…" And I usually say, "I am not either! But what is your opinion???" I imagine just about everyone has an opinion on this one.

And I ask you, the reader the same thing. What is your opinion on this Corona Virus and what impact will it have, do you think, on the economic "boom" where you are? Even more important, what direct impact do you think it will have on you as a working professional?
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-biggest-impact-coronavirus-could-have-average-working-paris pourrait vous intéresser
As usual, if you are an English learner and would like to take English conversation lessons with the author of Business English Paris don't hesitate to contact us. We offer both face to face and telephonic Busines English lessons so you can study with us at a distance by telephone.


_______________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Photos on this blog are likely from Amazon Affiliate Program. We do earn a commission if you buy from our links. Thanks for your support in advance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...