Monday, March 2, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: Word of the day is CAREER. How is your Career Going?

https://amzn.to/38jEoWC
Need a career change?

BUSINESS ENGLISH PARIS: What is the story of your Career? Is Your Career Evolving the Way you Want? Is there anything you would like to change?


French Translation is carrière


Hello darlings!


I am up and quickly scribbling a new post for you. It is already 6:08 in the morning so I am running behind schedule with my planning for today. But at Business English Paris, there is no excuse for missing a day of blogging! …..actually, don't be surprised if my blog posts don't follow a tight formula and schedule. For the moment, I have pledged to throw up a post every day. But let's all just hold our collective breaths to see what develops.  :)

So today the word is CAREER. I think the french translation is carrière but I am actually not certain about that. I don't have time to go to Google translate because it's late. But if it is not, please leave a comment and correct me. My french is just notoriously very very atrocious and I don't mind learning from you.

So the idea with these words of the day is to simulate a conversation with Business English learners because with Business English Paris, a huge focus is just simple conversation. It's just about, "let's talk." When I write, I imagine as if I were actually speaking with one of my students. And so I might ask, "can you describe your career history for me?" What I mean by that is to ask the student to tell me all about the different jobs he or she has had in the past and the responsibilities that he or she has enjoyed along the journey. A lot of times, the student is on the verge of a career change when I pose the question and so it can be a very timely question, and a great way for the student to self-reflect as well as wow me with their achievements and accomplishments.

Obviously, if the student is very young and has had only one job, it is a tougher question than if the student has had a couple of jobs. So you do have to judge who this question is appropriate for. But even if the student is entry level in their "career" I would just switch that to, "tell me about your job and the responsibilities that you have."  It usually would take up a few minutes of discussion because everyone has their own fascinating story to tell. Often, for a lot of people, their careers, even more than their family, can define who they are.

So, what about you? What is the story of your career? I would love to talk about it with you one day….

If you or someone you would like to have English conversation lessons with me, check this link for our current offer. If not, just enjoy reading, I love having you here. Feel free to leave a comment now and then. That would just fill me with joy. Have a great day, everyone. :)

Oh, and excuse any typos as I am quite an expert at those.

_____________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...