Sunday, April 12, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: PRODUCTIVITY

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: PRODUCTIVITY

Describe your productivity levels during the period of confinement in 2020. Did they increase, decrease or remain relatively the same?

French translation: productivité

Hello Darlings! Happy Monday!

It has been a few days since I have had the inclination or wherewhithal to update my blog. I guess you could say that my productivity levels have diminished a little bit and that I am experiencing a little bit of mental burnout. I find this period of confinement and all the bad news very mentally draining. Sure, I am fighting tooth and nail to stay motivated but there comes a time when  all this bad news definitely starts to have a negative impact on my ability to focus and get things done. I have become less efficient and there are measurably fewer visible fruits of my labor the longer this situation persists.

What about you? Are you feeling at all impacted by the confinement? Do  you think you have become less efficient because of it? Are you finding that you are producing less than you normally would? And are your lower productivity levels directly correlated to the confinement? Is telecomuting a drag? Tell the truth. Because sometimes we are just lazy and our productivity comes in waves and sometimes we feel it and sometimes we don't and it has nothing really to do with being confined or anything other than just us. So tell the truth. If you are not feeling as productive as you want to feel, if your output is measurably less, what is the real reason? What is the real cause? Because correlation is not necessarily causation.

What is productivity by definition?


. A measure of the efficiency of a person, machine, factory, system, etc., in converting inputs into useful outputs. Productivity is computed by dividing average output per period by the total costs incurred or resources (capital, energy, material, personnel) consumed in that period. from businessdictionary.com
So not only people's productivity is measured by also machines, factories, systems, etc. You can, for example, measure the productivity of a robot, if your company is into robotics and automation technology to create a more efficient workplace. 

How do you maximize your productivity at work, by the way? Are there any specific strategies you use? Do you drink a lot of coffee, for example? Work out during the middle of the day at the company gym? Have regular brainstorming sessions with colleagues? Study with gurus? How do you stay fertile mentally and keep producing and keep increasing your output? And by output, obviously I mean things that are worthwhile and good and helpful and useful and valuable. Because I think it is possible to have negative productivity. It is possible to also produce things which are harmful and bad. Do you agree with my assessment or do you think productivity by definition means something "positive"?

If you are in a position of leadership, how do you help your subordinates to maximise their positive productivity?

Today's Deals


Note: During this time, I am offering strictly telephone conversation courses to respect the order of President Emmanuel Macron who has issued a directive as you know that the French population must remain under curfew for the next 15 days. If you would like to start or continue with English conversation lessons therefore, it will be strictly by telephone. I look forward to speaking with you, que même. I have noticed that I now have visitors from countries other than France including Germany, United Arab Emirites, Belgium, Spain and Oman. You are also welcomed to take English conversation with me if you like :) 


______________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support.


No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...