Monday, April 6, 2020

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORDS OF THE DAY: EXIT STRATEGY

BUSINESS ENGLISH WORD OF THE DAY: EXIT STRATEGY

Do your political leaders have an exit strategy out of the coronavirus confinement & lockdown quagmire?

French translation, stratégie de sortie

Hello Darlings! Happy Monday!

I was just looking up the translation of "exit strategy" in French because I have exit strategy on my mind. I was thinking about the coronavirus actually, and I just read this morning an article somewhere, I forgot which one, that a politician in UK said that with masks being mandated in the workplace, the country can begin to think of an exit strategy.

It gave credence to what I have been thinking and saying for some time. Countries need to distribute masks for free to their populations so that everybody can get a mask and it is inexcusable that there is still this big shortage of them as far as I am concerned. We need about 8 billion masks and I am not exactly clear on why it is so hard to produce them...I mean, they seem pretty simple to make, don't they???

I think that using Mask Theory, (use VICKS + MASKS!) all the world's governments need to start thinking exit strategy even though technically, we may not have peaked in terms of fatalities in this horrific situation.

So what does exit strategy even mean?

I found this definition of the term in English on Wikipedia that I like a lot:


An exit strategy is a means of leaving one's current situation, either after a predetermined objective has been achieved, justifying premises or decision makers for any given operational planning changed substantially, or as a strategy to mitigate imminent or possible failure.[1][2] An organisation or individual without an exit strategy may be in a quagmire. At worst, an exit strategy will save face; at best, an exit strategy will deliver an objective worth more than the cost of continuing the execution of a previous plan considered "deemed to fail" by weight of the present situation.

I don't think countries have an exit strategy out of the lockdown and this is a problem  - a big one. No, they are not going to achieve total eradication of the virus before they end the lockdown.  They cannot afford to wait that long. They have to leave the situation in order to mitigate possible economic failure on a global scale never before seen in the history of mankind.  By weight of the present situation, in my view, devising an exit strategy that utilizes among other things the Masks + Vicks prophylactic modalities will "deliver an objective worth more than the cost of continuing the execution of a lockdown that is heading into perpetuity." So to speak. Because the cost of continuing this lockdown is just catastrophic for Gen Z and younger generations. They are going to suffer for a really long time.

Masks are a way out and I said that back on March 25 in my post about LEADERSHIP. As a leader  I think it is imperative that you know when to leave a situation - and sometimes that is going to be before "a predetermined objective has been achieved." In this case the predetermined objective is stamping out the coronavirus. This is an important objective that is a matter of life and death for a lot of people, of course, and I am not making light of it. However, operationally, I think that a rethink is necessary here. We have masks. We have data on the demographics most likely to suffer fatalities. We have data on demographics who get the virus and recover fairly quickly without any necessary interventions. We have some testing that is being done in various countries and other operational things. We can start thinking of a tentative or partical exit strategy, I think. What do you think? What is your view on this especially from the viewpoint of cost/benefit analysis and economic analysis and quantitative risk? (whatever the latter actually is?) 
Let's talk about it in our next meeting.


Today's Deals



Note: During this time, I am offering strictly telephone conversation courses to respect the order of President Emmanuel Macron who has issued a directive as you know that the French population must remain under curfew for the next 15 days. If you would like to start or continue with English conversation lessons therefore, it will be strictly by telephone. I look forward to speaking with you, que même. I have noticed that I now have visitors from countries other than France including Germany, United Arab Emirites, Belgium, Spain and Oman. You are also welcomed to take English conversation with me if you like :) 


______________________________________________________________________
Business English Paris is a sister site of Jeannie LaCroix. Please visit our sister site where you can find curated products for busy professionals at www.jeannielacroix.com. Thank you in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

QUESTION: Do You Think That if You Wear your Pyjamas to Work You Will Get Fired?

 Giggles 😄 I know, I know. I have too much free time. But I just wondered what would happen if people wore their PJs to work. Do you think ...